Thursday 25 July 2013

Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles Book 1)


Synopsis


Ethan Wate is haunted by dreams of a girl he’s never met. When Lena Duchannes moves into his small southern town of Gatlin County, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her. And he is determined to uncover the strange connection between them, even if it means uncovering the one secret that could change everything.

Review

This book is a breathtaking love story of 2 teenagers drawn together and envelops Ethan into a world of dark magic and a supernatural world ingrained into the small town in the middle of nowhere.  The town has a close knit community that doesn’t like change and new comers to their town and would be horrified at the thought of a magical supernatural world around them. When Lena arrives they take an instant dislike to her, only Ethan is drawn to her

Although the 2 main characters are teenagers, and I’m most definitely not, the book is such a brilliant read with a plot that twists, turns and builds quickly that older readers would thoroughly enjoy this book as well. What I really liked about this book is that it’s from Ethan’s perspective. in many books it is usually the females perspective that is favoured but this is written in such a great way that it really works well and is one of the best I’ve read. Ethan isn’t a part of the mystical supernatural world that unfolds throughout the book and it is refreshing to have a male perspective looking into this world.

The way the authors write the book they draw you into the world that is unfolding and you find yourself enthralled. I must warn you that this is one book I couldn’t put down and because it is written in such a real and believable way, when I wasn’t reading it I found myself thinking about the book and imagining what is to come next. When you come to the end of the book, you find yourself really wanting to start the next book, and I couldn’t wait.

There is nonstop action and thankfully no long pages full of scene setting. It is done in such a concise way that it fits well into the brisk pace of the plot. Lena is feisty and thankfully not needy like you find in some books and Ethan complements her well. All though it does fit into the boy gets girl boy loses girl etc it is done in an original and exciting way. There are a number of lesser characters around the 2 main ones, and I particularly like Amma who is a feisty southern housekeeper who takes care of Ethan and his father and is involved with Tarot reading and voodoo. I also liked Link who is Ethan’s best friend and is one of the few who doesn’t desert Ethan. The ‘bad guys’ are believable and their link to one of the main characters is an excellent twist (Shan’t say who as I don’t want to spoil the story).

I would recommend this as an anytime read, but be aware that you may not want to put it down until you’ve read it! It is aimed at the young adult market but as an older adult I still loved this book (must still be a teen in my head)
I rate this book

No comments:

Post a Comment