Monday 29 July 2013

Beautiful Chaos (Caster Chronicles Book 3)

Synopsis

Ethan Wate thought he was getting used to the strange, impossible events happening in Gatlin, his small Southern town. But now that Ethan and Lena have returned home, strange and impossible have taken on new meanings. Swarms of locusts, record-breaking heat, and devastating storms ravage Gatlin as Ethan and Lena struggle to understand the impact of Lena's Claiming. Even Lena's family of powerful Supernaturals is affected - and their abilities begin to dangerously misfire. As time passes, one question becomes clear: What — or who — will need to be sacrificed to save Gatlin?
For Ethan, the chaos is a frightening but welcome distraction. He's being haunted in his dreams again, but this time it isn't by Lena - and whatever is haunting him is following him out of his dreams and into his everyday life. Even worse, Ethan is gradually losing pieces of himself — forgetting names, phone numbers, even memories. He doesn't know why, and most days he's too afraid to ask.
Sometimes there isn't just one answer or one choice. Sometimes there's no going back. And this time there won't be a happy ending

Review

When we return to Gaitlin in book 3, all is not well in both the caster and mortal worlds, the events which culminated at Lenas 17th moon claiming caused huge ramifications. There is a split in the mortal world which is spreading and causing far reaching devastation. We find Gaitlin plagued with grasshoppers and scorching heat and worse of all Mrs Link proclaiming the end of the world. Fate is expecting payment for Lena claiming herself and it could be a very steep price to pay.

The characters continue to develop throughout the book and I particularly love Link evolving into the Linkubus he provides the comic element and excels at his ‘super hero’ role, but I did find his constant love sick mooning after Ridley a tad irritating at times. Ethan is also changing as he tries to find a way to strike a deal with fate to avoid the apocalyptic end. This book is less about Ethan and Lena’s relationship as it focuses more on the wider characters and their fight to survive and save their community. I believe the characters in this instalment have matured and changed for the better, especially Lena as she becomes a very determined young lady

There are many subplots which entwine to form a complicated story line, yet the authors manage to do this in such a way that the reader doesn’t become lost or confused; rather they pull the reader along with them desperate to know what is going to happen. I found myself engrossed with the story both when reading the book and when I wasn’t reading. The climax of the book had me in tears as I read the unbelievable ending that I so didn’t want to happen. I was so glad that I didn’t have to wait for book 4 to be published, so I could continue the story to its end.

Book 3 didn’t disappoint the twists, turns and plot development held me to the end. I can’t wait to read book 4 and the epic finale to the caster chronicles, I hope the author doesn’t disappoint on the final instalment like other series I’ve read. I would recommend this book to older readers as well as its target audience in the young adult genre. If you enjoy it as much as I did, make sure you have enough time put aside to read it as you won’t want to put it down. 

I rate this book

No comments:

Post a Comment