Saturday 28 February 2015

Spirit Bound (Vamp Academy book 5) Richelle Mead

Synopsis

Dimitri gave Rose the ultimate choice. But she chose wrong...

After a long and heartbreaking journey to Dimitri's birthplace in Siberia, Rose Hathaway has finally returned to St. Vladimir's-and to her best friend, Lissa. It is nearly graduation, and the girls can't wait for their real lives beyond the Academy's iron gates to begin. But Rose's heart still aches for Dimitri, and she knows he's out there, somewhere.

She failed to kill him when she had the chance. And now her worst fears are about to come true. Dimitri has tasted her blood, and now he is hunting her. And this time he won't rest until Rose joins him... forever.



Review


After the last book Blood Promise, I was really hoping that this book would be a vast improvement, and I wasn’t disappointed. There’s the 3 way love triangle between Rose, Dimitri & Adrian, and by the end of the book I really felt sorry for Adrian. I was also pleased to see the return of Abe towards the end of the book, I like this character and his relationship with Rose. I know this book is completely fiction, but I do still think some of the things she gets up to are a bit far fetched for an 18yr old, but this is pretty much a staple of this genre of books. I also cringed quite a bit at some of the things Rose says and does, which usually get her into a lot of troubled, but this is what Rose is about and the reason I like Rose so much. Lissa on the other hand can be such a girl, needing Rose to protect her, not being strong enough to do things herself. I think this may be my personal thing as I much prefer the female characters to be tough and self reliant. Saying that Lissa does come into her own in this book in an amazing way, I’m not going to spoil the story, but lets say it’s related to Dimitri.

The other character that is hard to figure out is Queen Tatiana and her relationship with Rose, Richelle keeps so many twists and turns regarding this that it makes it difficult for the reader to figure her out. There are so many twists in this book, and it has a spectacular ending that was quite a shock, especially for poor Rose. Richelle also does her usual twist at the end which hooks the reader into needing to read the next book to find out what is going to happen. I’ve never come across a writer that is as good at it as Richelle.
The thing with Spirit Bound is that it’s been difficult to write this review in my normal style, where I give my readers titbits about the storyline throughout. With this book if I talk about the storyline too much it would just be a massive spoiler for anyone wanting to read the book. Also at times I couldn't put the book down, but in some places I had to put it down and take deep breaths because it was just too much (yep the tears were back). Love, Passion, Treason, Fear, Sadness, Grief, all these emotions laid on paper in a such intense way was draining to read at times.

I would recommend this book, and I will be reading book 6, even though this series of books has had it’s ups and downs with some books better than others, I would say stick with it.

I rate this book

No comments:

Post a Comment